Speaking at an online conference organized by IMI on the effects of corona on tourism, Deputy Tourism Minister Savvas Perdios landed all those who believe that Cyprus can attract a significant number of tourists by the end of the year.
“The government had two bets to win. The first was to support its citizens to curb the spread of the virus. This seemed to win us over as we managed to restart the economy on 4 May. The second bet was to prepare the tourism to open on June 9 with the opening of the Cypriot airports. We did it and for that we thank the people of the front line who won the battle and gave us the opportunity to enter the tourist events “, he said.
According to Mr. Too many protocols have been put on the table, in relation to the operation of all destinations dealing with the tourism industry.
“We wanted to put a framework that would offer security to the visitor. So what does this case of pandemic mean for this year’s tourism?” The point that does not depend on us is the demand from abroad. Yes, Cyprus is ready and there are many countries that can travel to Cyprus without a corona test, but the demand is not as expected at the moment. This reinforces our predictions that this year we will not have more than 25-30% of last year’s arrivals. “Unfortunately, it does not depend on us whether the situation worsens in the United Kingdom and Russia, nor for a second wave.”
Going a step further, he explained that this means that at best we will expect 900 thousand arrivals and 100-150 thousand from the domestic market.
“50% of our arrivals will be from Britain, Russia and Israel, although they will be late to come to Cyprus. There is a balance of 50% in which Cyprus has to work very hard to win them. We estimate that 15% of this year’s revenue will come from the internal market. The remaining 35% will come from Germany, Austria, Greece, Finland and other countries currently in Category A or B. We need to look at them in specialized packages. And to close this year at least with a positive milestone in order to lay the foundations for next year “, he added.
Mr. Perdios stressed that 2021 should be the beginning of the recovery.
“It simply came to our notice then. We estimate that this will happen at the end of 2022. 2021 certainly cannot be in the data of 2019. And to achieve this goal it is a given that the countries of origin and the percentages that each country reflects will be differentiated. So don’t be surprised to see significant increases from Germany, Austria, France, Israel and other neighboring countries, “he said.
Finally, he stressed that the long-term plan for tourism until 2030 does not change.
“It simply came to our notice then. We have issued this plan to prevent the next crisis. The basis is the differentiation of both the markets and the ages we attract. We are not going to forget the sun and the sea, nor our basic markets. But we have to see the next day of our tourism “, he concluded.