About 100 British Cypriots died from Coronavirus

269

About 100 British Cypriots have died from coronavirus in Britain since the start of the pandemic, Christos Karaolis, President of the Cypriot Federation of Great Britain, said on Tuesday, April 7.

Karaolis said that about 70 percent of deaths are British Cypriots of Greek origin, the remaining 30 percent are British Cypriots of Turkish origin.

“The number of deaths is really great, this is a tragedy,” he said. “However, unfortunately, we expected these numbers, given that the epicenter of the outbreak in the UK is London, where most Cypriots live.”

Karaolis said that his organization brought together 40 volunteers who work with local authorities to provide support to the most vulnerable part of the UK population, especially the elderly, who organized the delivery of food and medicine to their homes.

“We are always ready to help needy Cypriots, and on Tuesday evening we will discuss new initiatives and support measures, as well as ways to implement them.”

The Federation, in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has also gathered useful information to support Cypriot students who are currently in the UK.

“We have created a page on our website with useful information especially for students, where they can get answers to their questions in this difficult situation,” Karaolis summed up.

Source